Perhaps by the end of this show, you’ll consider creating a portfolio career. Welcome back to the last show of the Summer season, and boy is this an informative one! Listen to this great show with Mac Prichard, founder of Mac’s List (Careers) and President of Prichard Communications (Public Relations firm). Mac recently published a new book, Land Your Dream Job Anywhere: The Complete Mac’s List Guide to Finding Work You Can Love. In our conversation, we discuss the benefits of a portfolio career.
Love to hear your thoughts about how a portfolio career would help you:
- Call and leave a voicemail at 708-365-9822, or text your comments to the same number
- Go to TheVoiceofJobSeekers.com, press the “Send Voicemail” button on the right side of your screen and leave a message
- Send email feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org
More about Mac Prichard
Mac loves connection people and passionately loves to help people find jobs they love. Mac’s List has a job board, career advice blog, podcast (in Apple Podcasts), books, and hosts local job events for local Portland Oregon job seekers.
A few highlights from the show:
- Mac talks about how both his companies are his passions where they both share the common goals of connecting people to opportunities
- Careers and public relations share the need to communicate effectively through storytelling
- Mac defines a portfolio career as not relying on just one career
- You reach the interview because of data, and stories connect you to the employer
- In the mind of an employer, they are wondering what makes you stand out – good storytelling does
- “…job seekers need to make the case why they’re the best person for the position and understand employer’s challenges and problems and show the interviewer through effective communication how they can solve the problems…”
- A portfolio career offers diversity and skill variety and not to rely on one career
- Job seekers can manage risk better if hobbies, volunteer, side gigs build additional skills
- The second job or career can energize the primary career
I hope the rest of your summer will be epic! I will be active on the social networks with occasional breaks, and I will be publishing articles on the blog and elsewhere. Please share this show with those who may need it. I will see you Sept 12 with bi-weekly shows. Thanks so much for making this award-winning podcast a joy to produce and publish. By the way, we are entering the fourth year and 170 episodes released!