I’ve known Ileane Smith for several years now. She owns one of the largest blogs for basic blog tips in the world. If you are thinking about starting a blog, find solutions to your questions at BasicBlogTips.com. For this episode, as I have done in the past, suggest that you blog to help find opportunities. To help me persuade you, Ileane and I will discuss the benefits and a few how-tos on blogging.
What is keeping you from blogging? What are a few of the goals you’re trying to achieve in your career. Can we talk? Here’s how you can participate in the discussion:
- Call and leave a voicemail or text me at 708-365-9822
- Go to TheVoiceofJobSeekers.com, press the “Send Voicemail” button on the right side of your screen and leave a message
- Send email feedback to email@example.com
Let me tell you about my friend Ileane Smith. She has worked in a publishing company for 30+ years, and other times, she is founder and publisher at Basic Blog Tips. You can also find her popular You Tube channel showing you how to use many social media tools, You Tube, and Blab platforms. She has a gift to make complex and obscure tools seem simple and possible to use by anyone. Here are a few highlights from our discussion done live on Blab with a few folks in the virtual audience. I will eventually publish the video. Special shoutout to @SmartOfficeHelp aka Elizabeth Hall for helping us document Ileane’s web references.
- Ileane started blogging in 2009 accidentally and found it empowering through subscribing to her daughter’s blog
- Optimizing your web content is imperative to be found by search engines for exposure. Branding and images are a critical part of attracting audience
- We talked about branding your blog, the look, and people who are searching for solutions
- Exploit your expertise, views, through honing your writing skills and reading other blogs
- Ileane recommended guest blogging (writing on other blogs) increases your exposure and increasing your connections
- Guest blogging duels as a way to get promoted and helping others to promote
- We discussed some of her blog’s guest posts provided the writers with other career opportunities
- Find ways to write the way to be identified by an audience. You can start by writing the way you talk
- Be careful with the content you publish when blogging and using live streaming platforms such as Periscope. Everything is exposed forever for current and future employers to scrutinize
- Find the platform and/or tool to use to increase your exposure to employers and hone your skills. Your blog is the platform you own
Need help with your career goals, directions, or efforts? Do you need coaching or instruction? I am here for it!
Also, join our Linkedin community! You’ll enjoy some of the insights shared by community members and other career pros!
I would still like to help self-published career professionals promote their books. If you’re interested, find more info here.