I want to share another great conversation with Mark Babbitt, CEO of YouTern about job search trends and the changes to YouTern coming this month.
Mark’s insight is consistently part of the larger conversation in the career spectrum, if anything, he has his hands on the pulse of what makes employers tick. Social proof and personal branding is at the center of attracting the eyes of employers. This conversation is essential in providing clarity in where you need to start or pivot.
Let me know how your personal branding and social proof is being shaped? Here’s how:
- Call and leave a voicemail or text me at 708-365-9822
- Go to TheVoiceofJobSeekers.com, press the “Send Voicemail” button on the right side of your screen and leave a message
- Send email feedback to [email protected]
Mark is the CEO of YouTern, President of Switch and Shift, and co-author of A World Gone Social. This is our third recorded conversation and it’s always a template to further understand how to stand out to employers and recruiters.
- Expectations are much higher to perform as entry-level training is much shorter. Performance ready is emphasized on “day one”
- Companies are waiting to find the right candidate instead of the hiring the next candidate if not right
- Personal selling is important coupled with social proof i.e. LinkedIn recommendations. Employers are limiting “buyer’s remorse” to not hiring the right candidate
- Googling is now the norm and critical in the hiring process
- We talk about the shrinking of the unemployed to the mass amount of underemployed
- People are smarter applying good strategies to target companies, getting referrals, getting recommendations
- More competition in the workforce, still hundreds of applications per position
- No interviews after a month of applying – branding issue, likely lack quality social proof, in any
- To compete, social proof sets you apart, employers likely to interview the person with proof
- The “human touch” should be frequent during your job search. If you receive no responses, you have a major branding problem
- Searches for you should say, “read my profile, consider my social proof”
- Value needs to address what you’re good at and who will pay for it
- We talk about the shift in content and the update on YouTern.com
- The site will address lifestyle issues, Gen Z and Millenials, how to identify good companies and more
- Getting back to the entrepreneur spirit, freelance gigs, solo-preneurship will be posted
- Relaunch will take place in April
- We talk about the role of “failure” in our approach to careers and the importance of getting through it quickly. Learn from people who have done it
- Resilience is still an impressive attribute to employers
- Intern Pro is still active on Mondays, 9 pm EST, the second longest Twitter chat
- YouTern will also publish more video and audio content
- Self-awareness, how are you positioning your value proposition will help you stand out
Need help with your career goals, directions, or efforts? Do you need coaching or instruction? I am here for it! Also, join our Linkedin community! You’ll enjoy some of the insights shared by community members and other career pros!
I would still like to help self-published career professionals promote their books. If you’re interested, find more info here.