I was fascinated by articles discussing the Blendoor app. It was developed and founded by Stephanie Lampkin was able to get venture capital funding for it. The Blendoor app is a blind recruiting tool eliminating features used to screen candidates from “unconscious bias.” I consider this a game changer especially if it minimizes or eliminates discrimination. The only important elements in hiring are skills and experience.
Let me now what you think about the Blendoor app’s possibilities. Here’s how you can comment:
- Call and leave a voicemail at 708-365-9822, or text your comments to the same number
- Go to TheVoiceofJobSeekers.com, press the “Send Voicemail” button on the right side of your screen and leave a message
- Send email feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Stephanie has degrees from Stanford and MIT and at one point, worked for Microsoft and Google. After seeing studies of how bias plays a major factor in hiring, she wanted to make an app eliminating bias based on race, creed, ethnicity etc. Stephanie has been featured in Forbes, Fast Company, Black Enterprise, and TechCrunch.
- Stephanie created the Blendoor app out of seeing the need to provide more diverse job seekers
- We discussed how ethnic names are negatively subject to bias
- Directly combats the myth diversity hiring means “lowering the bar”
- The goal is for the app to provide 100% merit based hiring
- Stephanie stated although women are more likely to graduate from college and score higher on tests, bias unconsciously is a major obstacle
- We discuss the features in the app and why it stands out
Need help with your career goals, directions, or efforts? Do you need coaching or instruction? I am here for it!
Also, join our Linkedin community! You’ll enjoy some of the insights shared by community members and other career pros!
If you’re a career pro and love giving career advice, let me know. Thanks for being among the thousands who listen every month. There’s so much more to come so stay tuned.Remember, I will not release a show next week because of Thanksgiving. The next show will be on November 29.
Remember, I will not release a show next week because of Thanksgiving. The next show will be on November 29.