Very few job seekers who are students, graduates, careerists, or career-changers get a great career start. This episode will be an exception as we dive deep in getting a great start or rebooting your career. I have two co-hosts this week: Janine Truitt of TalentThinkInnovations.com and Christ Fields of ResumeCrusade.com. Both of them bring their perspectives in working with young professionals to those in the executive c-suite.
What was some of the best career advice at the start of your career? We would love to hear your thoughts in one of three ways:
- Call and leave a voicemail at 708-365-9822, or text your comments to the same number
- Go to TheVoiceofJobSeekers.com, press the “Send Voicemail” button on the right side of your screen and leave a message
- Send email feedback to email@example.com
Let me share a little about each of my co-hosts:
Janine Truitt is the founder of her company, Talent Think Innovations, LLC is a multi-disciplinary business strategy and management consulting firm. She has been in HR and talent acquisitions for more than 10 years. Her media features include Black Enterprise, Entrepreneur Magazine, and US News and Careers.
Chris Fields is founder of the Resume Crusade, and also an HR professional and resume writer. He helps around 150 people yearly with resume and job search advice. His career advice has been featured in O Magazine, Mashable, and Monster Working!
Here are some of the highlights from our discussion:
- Janine believes your career start should be weaved in throughout your childhood, not just college
- Chris emphasized many professionals aspire to degrees he or she doesn’t need
- We discussed the importance of networking and using it as a main tool throughout your career
- Taking time to show up: Go to networking events and be intentional about your connections. Listen more than you talk and learn to identify the fakers from the makers
- Living on Purpose! Do work that is meaningful to you instead of ALWAYS chasing dollars and cents
Need help with your career goals, directions, or efforts? Do you need coaching or instruction? I am here for it!
I will be doing other shows with Chris and Janine, so if you have questions for us, let me know.
If you’re in Chicago, you might be interested in an upcoming event on February 12. If you want to join me, send me a note at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 708-365-9822 for more information.