It was Nathan Parcells article on Come Recommended’s blog, Why Diversity is a Hard Problem to Solve in the Workplace, that inspired this interview back in May. Many job seekers desire a culture that includes a variety of people to enjoy and learn from.
Nathan Parcells is co-founder and CMO of InternMatch, a leading site for helping companies hire amazing interns and students find amazing internships. InternMatch was started as a social venture with the goal of helping students of all backgrounds be able to find great internships regardless of connections. InternMatch’s Diversity and Internship Hangout is the first ever event to have top speakers from different industries share insights about their diversity initiatives. InternMatch now has over 5 million annual student visitors, and Nathan’s writings have been featured in Forbes, VentureBeat, the WSJ, Washington Post and more.
Nathan and I discussed the following challenges in hiring and maintaining a diverse and inclusive workplace:
- Although many companies desire to hire it is still a complex issue to discuss and implement
- Most companies recognize the need to hire diverse individuals to create a dynamic team
- Employees can voice their concerns to Human Resources to empower change within the company
- Companies could support high school level groups to help build diversity early
- The article he wrote for Come Recommend and the stats that were cited
- Some of the obstacles in reaching minority groups and the need for mentors
Please, enjoy the conversation and please add to it in the comment section.