Finally, I read a job search and career book with the mission to entertain while making serious points. Much of what NOT to do in your job search and workplace is in the book, B.S. Incorporated. The authors, Jennifer Rock and Michael Voss mix parody and non-fiction to bring us chaos.I would love to know some of your worse work experiences.
Here are three ways to join in on the conversation:
- Call and leave a voicemail at 708-365-9822, or text your comments to the same number
- Go to TheVoiceofJobSeekers.com, press the “Send Voicemail” button on the right side of your screen and leave a message
- Send email feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org
BS Incorporated is a satire from the experiences of Jennifer Rock and Micheal Voss. They use fictional characters and company to bring home real flaws in the job search and workplace. Both are authors and consultants (in real life). They have both worked as company journalists, speechwriters, and communication directors.
Here are a few highlights of our conversation:
- BS Incorporated is a fictional company spiraling out of control
- What is it like to join a company when you don’t know what it’s like on the inside
- Jargon and acronyms are often a foreign language
- Jennifer shared an onboarding experience where it was completely difference than imagined
- Managers will use employees as “life preservers.”
- Michael shared how people have responded with more stories for the authors to write part 2
- Jennifer shared a story of a job candidate who hurt his/her chances of getting hired
- Hiring managers are as unprepared as job candidates
- We discussed how biases are a part of the candidate’s and hiring manager’s perception
- We discussed the importance of having a conversation during an interview
Do you need job search coaching or instruction?
I am here for it! Use my contact information above to inquire about individual or group coaching. You can also sign up for my weekly newsletter at the top of my page.