Today’s job search requires you to keep both hands on the wheel. Any passive approach to finding opportunities fail. It doesn’t work. You must remain engaged throughout your career or face significant challenges shifting gears.
I would love to hear your thoughts in one of three ways:
- Call and leave a voicemail at 708-365-9822, or text your comments to the same number
- Go to TheVoiceofJobSeekers.com, press the “Send Voicemail” button on the right side of your screen and leave a message
- Send email feedback to email@example.com
Hannah Morgan, the founder of CareerSherpa.net. She is a nationally recognized career writer, speaker, and author. She writes about careers for U.S. News and World Report.
Here are highlights from our discussion:
- People are looking for a magic pill–but it doesn’t exist
- Job search is hard with effort, much more challenging if it’s passive
- Networking is a staple in a successful job search. Use informative interviews and look for ways outside of advice to create opportunities
- Applicant tracking systems purpose is to exclude you
- Think more holistic than just as a job seeker. Think like a consultant. Consider what you would think like a hiring manager
- Build your online presence, but your central hub should be your website and content
- Platforms outside of your site will come and go. The cost of a site is much less than a LinkedIn premium membership cost
Need help with your career goals, directions, or efforts?
Do you need coaching or instruction? I am here for it! Use my contact information above to inquire about individual or group coaching. You can also sign up for my weekly newsletter at the top of my page.