Just don’t think of Blab or Periscope only as a means of entertainment or to watch someone else use it to sell you stuff. Become an active participant to embellish your brand or as a strategic part of your job search. Jessica Miller-Merrell suggests that job seekers use it to connect with employers, share about your day, and even for informational interviews.
Have you started using Blab or Periscope yet? Would you use it to connect with employers? I would love to know what you think. As always, there are several ways to share your thoughts on the question or this show’s interview:
1) Leave a voice mail or text message at 708-365-9822. Let me know if I can share it on future shows
Those of you who are career professionals can receive the additional bonus by leaving your blog on the message, and I will link to it.
Let me share a little bit about Jessica Miller-Merrell (@jmillermerrell). She is the founder of the Forbes 100 Top Career Website Blogging4Jobs (and podcast) and the publisher of The Recruiters Lounge. Her media features include Forbes, Fortune, and Entrepreneur Magazines as well as many other media outlets. She is the CEO and founder of Xceptional HR and writes a lot about HR technology.
She recently wrote about using Blab or Periscope for your job search, and I asked her to discuss the “why” and strategies anyone can use:
- What are the purpose and goal are helpful strategies in using video through Blab or Periscope
- Jessica said that lighting, fresh face, and make-up are important elements in connecting with recruiters and hiring managers
- You don’t have to target one particular subject as you can talk about your mantra for today, or taking people on your journey with Blab or Periscope
- Video interviewing is more commonplace now, so people have to become more comfortable with cameras
- Video also unveils the voices in the back of our heads in how it shows what we perceive as negative (hair, facial expressions, etc.). Blab and Periscope can help with the need for practice
- You want to use these tools to be comfortable and collective enough to “Wow” the hiring manager
- Jessica said we don’t have to be experts but provide a platform to be noticed and not necessarily perfect
- Think about your industry and how it uses video. How can you contribute in a special way?
- You can use Periscope or Blab as a way of introducing yourself or as a demo. Are you in the hospitality industry? Do you interface with customers? This will demonstrate your strengths
- Companies can’t train great personalities so using these tools in an opportunity to demonstrate when a resume or other career marketing tools can’t
- You can use Periscope or Blab as a tool for informational interviews (or business conversations). Have a show where you put companies in the spotlight and ask them about their hiring process, what positions they’re hiring for, etc
- More companies are beginning to use Periscope and Blab to connect with potential candidates
- Live recording audio or video is scary for employers because they can’t take it back. Jessica shares her experience with employers using social networks tools
- Do you need help with resume writing or career direction? Do you need coaching or instruction?I can help.
Also, join our Linkedin community! You’ll enjoy some of the insights shared by community members and other career pros!
I would still like to help self-published career professionals promote their books. If you’re interested, find more info here.